COVID-19 Impacts on Cascade Gateway Freight
Status: Complete — Research Project
This project used IMTC’s Border Data Warehouse, US trade and transportation data sources, and 2016 IMTC Border Freight Operations Study data to describe and analyze the impacts of COVID 19 on cross-border truck-borne trade flows through the Cascade Gateway.
Historical data is analyzed for all Cascade Gateway POEs. Deeper analysis is focused on the Pacific Highway POE.
Presented in the report, this project’s findings include:
- A conclusion that observed fluctuations in commodity flow (by trade value) were related mostly to COVID-19 rather than other factors or seasonality.
- Commodity specific trend summaries that quantify and visualize COVID-19 effects on trade value (observable decreases and increases depending on market sector).
- Regional estimates of commodity-value to truck estimates — for application to subsequent scenario development.
- Scenarios of how COVID-19 influences on regional cross-border truck trade may continue indefinitely or fade depending on market sector, commodity type, etc.
- Recommendations for data improvements.
Funding & Partnerships
Transport Canada: $22,000 (CAD)